New Delhi: With the increasing population of the country, water consumption has also increased over the years leading to water scarcity in many parts of India. The situation is aggravated by the problem of water pollution or contamination.

With the depleting level of groundwater, drinking water is also getting contaminated with hazardous chemicals, mineral elements and additives that are detrimental to health.

Significantly, in northern states the government supplies only 5 percent of clean drinking water. For the rest 95 percent drinking water, people have to depend on wells. But with the depletion of the level of groundwater, most of the wells have also dried up which have been replaced with hand pump and tube wells. But the quality of the water reaching the households is no less than ‘poison’.

Uttar Pradesh too has been suffering from dearth of clean drinking water, the condition being worse in rural areas.

A government survey reported that apart from chemically polluted substances, various other hazardous minerals are also naturally present in the groundwater.

The survey also added that nitrate present in chemical fertilizers and sewerage is gradually contaminating groundwater. Other than this, fluoride and arsenic are also found to be naturally dissolved in it.

An official from the survey team said, “It is very tough to decontaminate groundwater from these elements to make it consumable.”

Government agencies also admit that India does not have effective techniques to separate these harmful minerals from drinking water. The official said, “To cope up with this problem conservation of rain water is very necessary.”

Groundwater is the major source of drinking water in both urban and rural India. In spite of this sole dependence, consuming contaminated water has become an obligation for the common men.

JPN/Bureau