New Delhi: Former Union Minister Sukh Ram, convicted in a 1996 telecom scam and ordered to surrender on Friday at Patiala House Court, is not in a state of coma, doctors of south Delhi-based Delhi Metro and Heart Institute, attending on him said, contradicting his counsel's claim that he cannot move from hospital as he is in a coma.

His counsel had submitted that Sukh Ram was hospitalised after undergoing computerised tomography (CT) angiography.

According to Medical Superintendent Dr Sandeep Chatrath, the CT angiography report of Sukh Ram on Friday late evening show signs of blockage of heart arteries.

“We are preparing for further treatment,” Dr Sandeep said.

Meanwhile, special CBI Judge Dharmesh Sharma deferred the matter for Saturday as concerned judge Sanjiv Jain was on leave for two days.

86-year-old Sukh Ram and two other accused in 1996 telecom scam were directed by the Supreme Court to surrender before the trial court on Thursday but Sukh Ram avoided the same citing medical reasons. However, the two other convicts – former Department of Telecom (DoT) Deputy Director General Runu Ghosh and Hyderabad–based businessman P Rama Rao had surrendered before the trial court on Thursday and were sent to Tihar jail to serve their sentence of two and three years respectively.

Earlier on December 21, the Delhi High Court had upheld the lower court’s 2002 judgment. Sukh Ram had been sentenced to three years in jail.

Later, the three convicts had approached the Supreme Court seeking relief so that they would not have to surrender. But the Apex Court refused to entertain their plea by saying that their appeal would be listed for hearing after they surrender.

(JPN/Bureau)