"Don't doubt the intention of government in destroying files. We will not do anything that will disturb the flow of history," Rajnath Singh said while giving clarification on questions raised by members on the home ministry destroying some files.
Members quoting reports sought explanation from the home minister on 1.5 lakh files destroyed by his ministry recently. The home minister said that none of the files was of historic importance.
"I can assure as the Home Minister and a part of Narendra Modi government, the history is not being destroyed," the Home Minister told the House.
Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader P Rajeev raised the issue last week, to which the Minister replied in a statement on Friday, that only 11,100 files were destroyed and these did not include files related to the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi.
Earlier, seeking a clarification, members asked if any other historic files were destroyed, and alleged that the government was trying to rewrite history.
"Less than 45 seconds was taken on deciding on every file. Was it pre-decided? That is why allegation of trying to rewrite history is made," CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said.
"India is the only country which has no rules on transferring the files to the National Archives. We can find files of Mughal era, and British period, but not of Independent India," he said.
Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad sought to know if the files were recorded electronically.
"Micro-filming of the files could have been done," said Azad.
Sukhendu Shekhar Roy of the Trinamool Congress asked if there were any documents related to Subhas Chandra Bose that were destroyed.