New Delhi: Secretary of the Department of Telecom, R Chandrasekhar said on Friday that the government will decide in a month on cancellation of licences given by former Telecom Minister A Raja in 2008 to allegedly ineligible firms.

Raja is facing charges of issuing 122 licences in 2008 without auctioning the scarce resource spectrum, which caused a presumptive loss of exchequer over Rs 1.76 lakh crore.

Stating that no licence has been cancelled so far, he added, "We have received replies from all 85 licence holders who were issued showcause notices. We are legally examining them and should be able to take a decision on it in a month's time.”

He said that the Telecom Ministry has issued notices to firms on two issues, ineligibility to get licences and missing roll-out obligations within the stipulated timeframe and the process to send notices would be completed within a week.

The matter is being examined by various investigating agencies and also a parliamentary panel.

The PAC had sent 40 questions to the DoT relating to the 2G spectrum scam suggesting that the notional loss reported by the audit report should be seen in light of the benefit that it has given to consumers and general public welfare in the form of quick economic growth.

Rejecting again the allegation of any notional loss due to the issuance of 122 new licences in 2008, DoT said in its reply to the Public Accounts Committee that the premium placed on the scarce resource from the perspective of a producer need not necessarily translate into a loss when seen from the view point of the consumer and public welfare.

(Agencies)