"We have a standing committee meeting at 4 pm today (Monday) at the UGC where we will discuss strategies for the migration to the three-year programme," said DUTA president Nandita Narain.

The Commission on Saturday constituted the standing committee headed by the UGC vice chairman with representatives from the academic and executive councils of DU, Delhi University Teachers Association (DUTA), Delhi University Students Union (DUSU), college principals and teachers to advise the varsity on change-over.

After several letters to the varsity, the Commission on Sunday ordered the Delhi University that it should make admissions for the under-graduate courses only under the three-year programme, which was prevalent prior to the introduction of the four-year programme (FYUP), or face action under the UGC Act, 1956.

READ MORE: UGC Chairman meets Smriti Irani over DU admission row

As the four-year programme introduced last year violates the National Education Policy 1986, which advocates the 10+2+3 system, the Commission said that DU must go back to the earlier system.

The Commission has also ordered the varsity to comply with the letter "without fail" by Monday.

With no comment from the varsity, confusion has gripped the campus on whether admissions would go through as scheduled from Tuesday.

Meanwhile, UGC Chairman Ved Prakash met HRD Minister Smriti Irani this morning over the issue.

Irani is also understood to have expressed her displeasure over the delay in solving the matter with the DU authorities as the admission process to the undergraduate programme kicks off from Tuesday.


Latest News from India News Desk