In his response to the showcause sent by the ministry, he is also believed to have dismissed allegations that the amendment to a university ordinance to introduce FYUP was not sent to the Visitor (the President).
Singh sent his reply on Tuesday, claiming no wrong doing in rolling out the controversial programme as it had necessary approvals.
He is believed to have said that at no point of time there was any "disapproval" from the Visitor to the Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP), which was rolled back last year after the Narendra Modi-led BJP government came to power.
The programme was scrapped following pressure from UGC on the grounds that it had no legal sanctions.
However, Singh is understood to have said that between 2012 and 2014 -- from the time FYUP was conceptualised to its rollout -- there was no objections to it neither from UGC or from the HRD ministry.
He is believed to have said that the showcause notice has been sent on the assumption that he was guilty and therefore should be punished straightaway.
According to highly placed sources, much of his argument hinges around the fact that the Visitor's representatives at the executive council meeting, which had approved the FYUP, had raised no objection to its introduction.

Latest News from India News Desk