China said it is chartering flights to pick up 683 tourists that were in the country when a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit near Kathmandu on Saturday, reducing parts of the capital to rubble in the worst disaster to hit the country in more than 80 years.
    
Australia's Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said her government had contacted more than 200 of the 549 Australians in the South Asian nation, while New Zealand's Foreign Minister Murray McCully said more than 110 nationals had been accounted for.
    
"While there are reports of extensive loss of life, at this point there are no reports of Australian deaths," Bishop said in a statement, adding that staff from the foreign affairs department were travelling to Nepal to help locate other citizens.
    
Japan's foreign ministry said it has set up a liaison office to help locate the 1,100 of its nationals who were staying in Nepal when the quake hit, Jiji news agency reported.
    
More than 2,000 people are reported killed by the earthquake, which cracked roads and brought down much of the country's mobile phone network.
    
Offers of help have poured in from governments around the world, with Japan, China, the US and European Union announcing they were sending in disaster response teams.
    
Australia on Sunday pledged 5 million dollars in aid, while McCully said New Zealand -- still recovering from a deadly quake that hit its second-largest city Christchurch in 2011 -- would send 1 million dollars.

Australians took to social media to express their fears about missing relatives and friends who were working or travelling in Nepal when the quake hit.

Latest News from World News Desk