Cairo: Egypt's tumultuous political scene on Thursday was on the boil again after its election authority deferred the announcement of the historic post-Mubarak era Presidential poll results saying it needs "more time" to examine nearly 400 appeals filed by the two contenders.

Egypt's Supreme Presidential Elections Commission (SPEC) announced that the results, originally scheduled to be released today, will now be deferred as it would require "more time" to examine roughly 400 appeals filed by both presidential campaigns, the Muslim Brotherhood's Mohamed Mursi and last Mubarak-era Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq.

Final results of Egypt's hotly-contested Presidential run-off, therefore, will likely be announced on Saturday or Sunday, according to SPEC Secretary-General Hatem Bagato.

"Egypt's presidential election commission, headed by Judge Farouq Sultan... has decided to delay the announcement of the presidential election runoff," Egypt's official stated.

In a statement issued yesterday, the SPEC said that it had gone over the roughly 400 appeals filed by both presidential campaigns. The SPEC also said it had heard lawyers for both candidates for almost five hours each.

The delay adds to the already prevailing confusion and political uncertainty in the country, with growing apprehensions about the military's expanding role and control over governance.

According to the statement, the main appeal has to do with alleged inconsistencies between the number of ballots and the number of voters registered at polling stations.

This, the SPEC noted, could be the result of voters casting more than one ballot or by the fact that some voter lists contained the names of deceased citizens.

Meanwhile, Thousands of opposition supporters are protesting in Cairo's Tahrir Square.

They have gathered to demonstrate against the delay in announcing the poll result and also against the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), the military council that has led the country since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted last year.

The Muslim Brotherhood called people into the square to voice their outrage over recent constitutional amendments which gave the SCAF sweeping political and legislative powers.

Fearing the results might not be in their favour, the Muslim Brotherhood supported by the revolutionaries took to Tahrir square for the second night in a row.

The outfit voiced their demands, staged sit-ins and said they intend to remain there till their demands of rejecting the supplemental constituent declaration and stripping the military and intelligence police of their right to arrest were fufilled.

Meanwhile, an official television station said that former ousted President Mubarak was back in a coma after having been conscious for a little while and that his condition was "very critical".

The station also added it had no access to doctors to cover his condition and that a statement from doctors or the military council is expected.

The 84-year-old former President, who is serving a life sentence, was transferred to Maadi Hospital on Tuesday night after he suffered a brain stroke.


Latest News from World News desk