Cairo: Egyptian activists on Sunday called for a million-person march on the eve of landmark polls as Egypt's military leader reached out to key opposition figures amid a deepening political rift.

The Revolution Youth Coalition, formed during the uprising that drove Hosni Mubarak from power in February, called on its Facebook page for mass protests in Tahrir Square and across Egypt on Monday to demand the end of military rule.

Earlier, a 19-year-old demonstrator was killed after a protest outside the cabinet headquarters against military leader Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi's appointment yesterday of Kamal al-Ganzuri as the country's new prime minister.

Among the demands of the activist alliance is the replacement of Ganzuri and the cabinet he has been tasked with forming by a national salvation government and the immediate trial of all those involved in killing demonstrators.

At least 42 people have now died in a week of clashes between protesters and police that erupted on November 19 and which have also left more than 3,000 injured.

Tantawi held separate talks today with presidential hopefuls Mohamed ElBaradei, former head of the UN nuclear watchdog, and ex-Arab League chief Amr Mussa, state media reported, as protesters demanding an end to military rule remained camped out in Tahrir Square.

A political source told AFP that the meetings discussed the formation of an advisory panel to the military council.

ElBaradei's office said no agreement had been discussed during the meeting on "the next phase" of the revolution, but added that he was "continuing negotiations to achieve the demands of the revolutionaries."

He and Mussa were among those proposed by protesters as members of a national salvation government.

(Agencies)