Chandigarh: Fiza Mohammed originally known as Anuradha Bali, estranged wife of former Haryana Deputy Chief Minister Chandermohan, was on Monday found dead under mysterious circumstances at her residence in Sector 48 of Mohali town.

The body of 39-year-old Bali, a lawyer by profession at the Punjab and Haryana High Court and former assistant advocate  general with the Haryana government, was found lying on her bed in her residence with several insects roaming over it, SHO Kulbir Singh said.
A senior police officer said the body found in a ground floor bedroom was in a decomposed state and preliminary inquiry showed that she may have died four to five days back.
"At this stage nothing can be stated on whether it is a case of suicide," the officer said. No suicide note has so far been recovered, police said. The police opened the house after neighbours reported foul smell coming from there.

The neighbours told the police that she seemed to be depressed for the past few months, especially after her mother passed away. She had been living alone in the house. She had several arguments and fights with neighbours in the area in the past couple of years and she was even arrested in this regard.

Anuradha Bali becomes Fiza Mohammad

Bali hogged limelight after her marriage with Chander Mohan a few years back when he was Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana.

After his controversial marriage, Chander Mohan was disowned by his father and former Chief Minister Bhajan Lal. Having remained incommunicado for several days, the couple had resurfaced after embracing Islam and Bali changing her name to Fiza and Chander Mohan to Chand Mohammed.
Following the controversy over his affair and second marriage, Chander Mohan, elder son of three-time Haryana Chief Minister and political strongman Bhajan Lal, lost his job in the Bhupinder Singh Hooda government.

Just 40 days of marriage

Relations later soured between the two and Fiza joined politics by launching a political outfit. Sources said that she was planning to join BSP. The marriage lasted hardly 40 days with Chander Mohan suddenly leaving her house January 28, 2009 and not communicating with her at all.

Using technology over long distance, Chander Mohan telephoned Fiza in March 2009 on her mobile and divorced her by saying "Talaq, Talaq, Talaq" three times.

Fiza later told reporters that Chand called her up from London and uttered 'talaq' three times. He also sent her a SMS to confirm that he was divorcing her.

She had earlier filed a complaint of rape, cheating, intimidation and hurting religious sentiments against Chander Mohan. However, he was given a clean chit by the Mohali police. He had described her complaint as 'nothing more than toilet paper'.

Chander Mohan later did a volte-face June 2009 and arrived at her house. He even apologised to her and told the media that he had never divorced her.

"I never left, I still love her and I wanted to spend rest of my life with her. I am ready to leave everything, even my family, for her sake. I was under immense pressure and was bound with some prior commitments when I left her house," Chander Mohan had had said after returning.

However, within days he deserted her again and later underwent Hindu prayers at his hometown Hisar in Haryana to re-convert to Hinduism.

Both had not been in touch since then.

Fiza had later appeared in a TV reality show shot in Malaysia.

Chander Mohan had recently buried his differences with his younger brother Kuldeep Bishnoi and joined the HJC headed by the latter. In the 2009 assembly elections in Haryana, Fiza had vigorously campaigned against the Bhajan Lal family which was contesting from Adampur in Hissar district.


Latest News from India News Desk