The victim’s parents met West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan and demanded death penalty for the accused.

“We want that those who have gang-raped my daughter should be given death penalty. We have also requested the Governor to see that our family members are provided security as we fear for our lives,” the victim’s father said after meeting the Governor.
"Police officials on Tuesday night threatened me and asked me to leave the state and return to Bihar with the body. The police officials and some local toughs also threatened that if I did not, they would stop me from driving my taxi," the father, who is a taxi driver and hails from Bihar, said.
"I have told the Governor about the police officials who threatened me and the Governor has assured that the matter will be looked into," he added.

Protests have rocked several parts of Kolkata since Tuesday over the brutal rape and death of the girl with demands for justice to the girl.
There was a tussle between Left parties and Kolkata Police on Tuesday night over the cremation of the body of the girl who died in a city hospital of injuries suffered during an attempt to set herself on fire at her home on December 23. The girl's father, who is close to CITU, said it was decided by the family and the trade union that the body would be kept in Peace Haven mortuary in the city and a condolence rally would be taken out on Thursday. But when the body was being taken to the mortuary late Tuesday night, police forcefully took it for cremation, the girl's father and CITU officials alleged.

"The police took away the body forcefully and tried to cremate it at the Nimatala Ghat crematorium, but could not do so as the death certificate was in possession of the girl's father. After the news spread, we too rushed to the crematorium and protested forcing the police to retreat," CPI(M) state secretariat member Rabin Deb said.
"The police gave the excuse that the condolence rally with the body cannot be allowed as there is dearth of policemen due to new year celebrations," he claimed.
Denying the allegations, Joint Commissioner of Police (HQ) Rajeev Mishra said, "It is a totally false allegation. Whatever was done was done in consultation with Bidhahnagar police, under whose jurisdiction the girl's home is. We did not forcefully take away the body."
Deputy Commissioner of Bidhannagar Police (Detective Department) Arnab Ghosh said, "The incident happened under the jurisdiction of Kolkata police. So we can't comment on it."
The ruling Trinamool Congress has accused the Left Front of launching a 'false propaganda' against the state government. "The CPI (M) is alienated from the people and they are desperately trying to launch a wrong propaganda against the government over this (gang-rape) issue. But the people will not accept this," TMC General Secretary Mukul Roy said.
He said the girl's death was a sad incident and the administration did whatever was necessary to bring the culprits to book. "The accused are in jail and a chargesheet has been filed against them," Roy said.
West Bengal Left Front chairman Biman Bose wondered, "Under whose instructions, the police has been so overactive. We want the guilty to be punished. We will organise protest- rallies and programmes throughout the state."

Meanwhile, eminent personalities condemned the girl's death and said steps were needed to be taken to make the state a better place for women.
"The girl's death has proved that we have failed. We all could have stood beside the girl and saved her, but we couldn't," national award winning actress Rituparana Sengupta said.
Theatre personality Kaushik Sen also condemned the alleged police action.

‘Victim was set on fire by attackers’

The 16-year-old gang-rape victim said in her dying declaration that "she didn't attempt suicide but was set on fire by the culprits", a top officer of the Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate said.
"In her dying declaration (on Tuesday) before a doctor and a police officer, the girl said Ratan Sil and Minta Sil, (accused in the rape case), set her on fire," Additional Deputy Commissioner (Airport Division) Nimbalkar Santosh Uttamrao said.
Shameful incident of October 25
According to reports, the girl was first gang-raped on October 25 at Madhyamgram in the northern fringes of the city and found lying in a field near her house. She was forcibly taken away by the same gang and gang-raped again when she was returning home with her parents after lodging a complaint with the local police station.
The severely injured girl was later found lying unconscious near the railway track at Madhyamgram the same day. Her family, thereafter, changed residence from Madhyamgram to Dum Dum in the city.
Six people were arrested after local residents demanded immediate action against the gang but the victim's family members alleged that on December 23, a close associate of the gang leader Chottu had visited their Dum Dum residence and threatened them with dire consequences if the girl did not withdraw her complaint. The reports said she had tried to commit suicide the same day.

Doctors at the hospital said the girl was admitted with nearly 80 percent burns and damaged lungs. She died around 2 pm on Tuesday.  The girl's body was cremated in the Nimatala cremation ground on Wednesday.


Latest News from State News Desk