Lahore: A fire in a famous book store in this eastern Pakistani city on Wednesday damaged the building and gutted a huge collection of books worth millions of rupees.

The fire in Feroz Sons on the Mall Road was reportedly caused by an electrical short circuit on Wednesday morning.

The store was established in 1894.

Fire tenders and workers of a state-run rescue service reached the spot and managed to prevent the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings.

However, the flames could be extinguished even after seven hours.

The owner of the store said books worth Rs 50 million were in the building.

(Agencies)

Latest news from World News Desk