Roorkee: Equipments worth crores of rupees were gutted in fire that broke out at main server room of the National Institute of Hydrology here on Tuesday. The fire is believed to have caused damage to crucial data and software collected by the scientists in past several years.

The fire, which was doused by the fire brigade personnel in an hour, is stated to be caused by an electrical short circuit.

Speaking about possible losses in the fire break-out, NIH Executive Director Dr Bhishm Kumar said, “Main server is totally burnt down. Apprehensions are that other equipments worth Rs 60 lakhs have also been damaged. The reason behind the fire eruption would be investigated.”

According to reports, NIH officials saw the smoke spiraling out from the main server room when they returned from lunch recess. The officials immediately informed the fire brigade team which had to toil hard to overpower the fire.

When scientists entered the server room after the fire brigade’s operation, they found that about two- dozen computers were burnt down.

(JPN/Bureau)