Mumbai: At least five people were killed and six others injured when a four-storeyed abandoned building, which was occupied by some unauthorized dwellers, collapsed in Mumbai early on Saturday, officials said.

This is the third incident of building collapse in the area within a time period of two months and second in the past 36 hours.

The incident occurred around 6.30 am when the dilapidated Piyush Building suddenly came crashing down, catching the unauthorized dwellers unaware, said an official of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) disaster control cell.

On Saturday, firefighters and other rescuers extricated dead bodies, while five people were brought out alive from the rubble of the building located in the city's Dahisar east suburb.

Of the injured, two succumbed later at the BMC's Bhagwati Hospital while the condition of the remaining three is stated to be serious. There is no information whether more people are trapped under the debris. Relief and rescue operations are in full swing.

Dahisar Shiv Sena legislator Vinod Ghosalkar said the building had been evacuated two years ago after it was declared dangerous by the civic authorities.

"It was due to be redeveloped. But owing to a dispute between the owner and tenants, the matter is under litigation. In the meantime, local vegetable vendors were taking shelter there," Ghosalkar told reporters.

On June 10, a four-storey building collapsed at Mahim in central Mumbai, killing 10 and injuring another six.

On Friday, 10 people, including six children, were killed when a 35-year-old three-storey Shakuntala building crashed in Mumbra town in Thane district.


Latest News from India News Desk