"Foreign hand cannot be ruled out in the Wagah Border suicide attack," Punjab Interior Minister Col (R) Shujah Khanzada told reporters.

"The suicide-bomber wanted to blew himself up at the Parade Avenue. Had he succeeded a ground would been prepared for action against Pakistan by the international forces. This is why some foreign hand seems to be behind this incident," he said.

Khanzada said the government has formed a joint investigation team to look into the "aspects of the attack."

He also criticised security lapse by Pakistan Rangers. "The Punjab government was not responsible for the security of the Wagah border. It is an exclusive domain of the rangers."

He said all law enforcement agencies have been put on red alert to foil any terror attack in the country.



At least three militant factions have claimed the grizzly bombing. Al-Qaida affiliated militant group Jandullah -+a splinter group of the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was the first to claim responsibility of the attack.

Shortly afterwards, Jamaatul Ahrar said its bomber Hafiz Hanifullah carried out the attack. And later a lesser-known Mahar Mehsud group also claimed responsibility.

Asked about the involvement of any of these groups in the attack, Khanzada said: "The investigation will bring forth who is involved in the attack."

Meanwhile, intelligence agencies this evening arrested two more suspects from Lahore and shifted them to an undisclosed location for investigation.

"We have arrested two terror suspects from Lahore and also ecovered a suicide vest from a fruit truck entering Lahore from Peshawar," a senior Lahore police officer said.

At least 61 people including, 10 women, eight children and three security personnel were killed when a suicide-bomber blew himself up near the main gate of Wagah Border Parade Avenue yesterday.

More than 100 injured were being treated in various hospitals in Lahore.

Pakistan, however, today allowed general public to view the popular flag-lowering ceremony at Wagah Border, hours after cancelling it.

Ban Ki-moon asks Pakistan to act against Wagah attackers

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has asked Pakistan to act against the terrorists who carried out the attack last week at the Wagah border.Ban's spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters, "The Secretary-General condemns in the strongest terms the terrorist attack" that took place on Saturday on the Pakistani side of the Wagah border crossing with India.

"The Secretary-General," he added, "urges the Pakistani authorities to bring those responsible to justice."

Dujarric said Ban  conveyed his condolences to the families of the victims and to the people and government of Pakistan and wished the wounded a quick recovery. 
 
At least 60 people were killed and more than 120 injured when a young suicide bomber wearing a suicide vest blew himself up near the Wagah border Saturday evening as people began dispersing after watching the ceremony to lower the flags of the two countries at the frontier post.

Latest News from World News Desk