The jeep fell into the river and was swept away by its swirling waters when the victims were going to Chabndrapuri in Rudraprayag district from Agastyamuni on Thursday evening, officials said.
Rishikesh-Gangotri National Highway was closed at a number of places beyond Netala in Uttarkashi district due to debris falling over from the hills even as an electric pole fell due to heavy rains at Gufiyara leading to power breakdown at many places in the district, official sources said.
The road restoration work is being repeatedly affected by intermittent rains, they said. The Rishikesh-Badrinath highway is also blocked at many points between Joshimath and Ruadraprayag.
Purola in Uttarkashi district received the maximum 88 MM of rains followed by Ranikhet which received 50 MM of showers, MeT department Director Anand Sharma said. Similar weather with light to moderate rains at most places and more than moderate to heavy rains at isolated places has been predicted by the MeT department in the next 24 hours.
Authorities in Rudraprayag said efforts are still on to trace Almora SDM Ajay Arora who slipped from a makeshift bridge and fell into the Mandakini last week while supervising clean-up operations at Kedarnath.

Missing SDM's family announces reward
With Uttarakhand government's efforts to trace him drawing a blank, the family of Almora SDM Ajay Arora, who fell into the Mandakini River on July 31, has announced a reward of Rs two lakh for anyone who finds him.
"We were forced to announce the reward when we saw that despite over a week after the accident, the state government has failed to trace him," the missing SDM's father Krishan Lal said.
Arora, in his forties, met with the accident as he slipped off a makeshift log bridge over Mandakini while returning from Kedarnath shrine to Garuruchatti basecamp in Rudraprayag district on July 31.
A 14-member team of trained PAC divers has been scouring the river at Gaurikund, Rambada and Phata areas in search of him ever since the mishap occurred but to no avail.
His wife Mona complains that the official was sent to Kedarnath despite the fact that he was unwell and had been advised two weeks' rest by doctors in Dehradun.


Latest News from Uttarakhand News Desk