The Government announced Rs 6 lakh compensation to the kin of those killed in the country due to the quake as Prime Minister Narendra Modi took stock of rescue and relief operations both at home and in Nepal at a review meeting and directed that they be speeded up through close coordination among agencies.

At a joint news conference with top officials who included Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar, Home Secretary L C Goyal said the death toll in India today stood at 62 and the number of injured was 259. Yesterday, 51 deaths were reported.

Giving the breakup, Goyal said Bihar accounted for 46 deaths while the other deaths were reported in Uttar Pradesh(13), West Bengal(2) and Rajasthan(one). A minor girl in Rajasthan was among those killed today in fresh tremors when a hut collapsed at Roniza village in Bharatpur district.

Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar put the death toll in his state at 50.

As many as eight aftershocks have been felt in Bihar in the past 24 hours since a high intensity earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter Scale rocked Nepal and adjoining countries yesterday claiming over 2,000 lives, a MET official said in Patna.

Out of 38 aftershocks emanating from the epicentre of earthquake in Nepal since yesterday, eight have been felt in Bihar measuring between 5.5 and 6.9 on Richter Scale, the Patna MET Director AK Sen said.

Fresh deaths were reported in Bihar due to incidents of wall collapse after the quake.

Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced closure of all schools in the state for two days from Monday as a precautionary measure.

In Uttar Pradesh, the toll mounted to 13 with one more person succumbing to injuries in Kushinagar, which was among the badly affected districts in the state.

A PMO statement in Delhi said that the next of kin of those who lost their lives in various parts of the country due to the earthquake shall receive an enhanced compensation of Rs 4 lakh from the National Disaster Relief Fund.

This follows the Union Government's decision to revise the guidelines for the National Disaster Relief Fund and raise this compensation amount from Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs 4 lakh in the event of death due to natural calamity, it added.

The above amount is in addition to the compensation of Rs 2 lakh from the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund announced earlier in the day.

The PMO statement came after Modi chaired a follow-up meeting to review the progress of relief and rescue operations. The meeting was attended by Union Ministers Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj, Rajnath Singh and Manohar Parrikar, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth, Additional Principal Secretary P.K. Mishra, and other senior officials from various ministries, IMD and NDRF.

Modi was briefed on the work being done by various agencies involved in relief and rescue work, both in India and Nepal, the PMO said. He was also briefed on the situation arising out of the major aftershock that occurred earlier on Sunday.

"The Prime Minister emphasized the need for further increasing the pace of search and rescue operations, and evacuation of stranded people from Nepal," the PMO statement said.

Modi directed that in addition to the air route, road links should also be used for evacuating stranded people at the earliest. He stressed on the need for ensuring coordination among various agencies involved in relief and rescue operations.

"The Prime Minister also said that highest priority be accorded to providing food and water supplies, including milk powder, to the affected areas, the statement said.

Latest News from India News Desk