In his reply, Singh is understood to have said the Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP) that was scrapped by UGC in June last year, had the sanctions of the Ministry.
He also said the decisions were taken keeping in mind that students interest are not compromised in any way, sources said.

Delhi University Vice-Chancellor Dinesh Singh has responded to the HRD ministry's show-cause notice seeking that he explain his position regarding the introduction of the controversial FYUP and other allegations against him.

About the four year B Tech courses, he is understood to have argued that they required no approval as they were being offered by the Varsity.

Singh sent his reply to the ministry last evening, within the 15-day deadline set for the same, highly-placed HRD ministry sources said.

The reply, which sources said runs into over 100-pages, is currently being examined by the ministry and it will send its recommendations to the Visitor to DU, President Pranab Mukherjee.

While the Delhi University Act does not confer any power on the government to recall the incumbent Vice Chancellor, ministry officials said that they can invoke the General Services Records to get the VC removed by the appointing authority.

Apart from inquiring as to the legality of introducing the Four-Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP), the ministry had sought Singh's reply on the opening of BTech courses under the varsity without due clearance from AICTE and the diversion of funds to the tune of Rs 172 crore meant for OBC students to buy laptops.

Singh was issued a show-cause notice on March 17 after the Visitor's nod.     

The DU VC has faced controversy ever since the FYUP was brought in, allegedly without the due clearances.

His tenure as the DU VC ends in October this year.

The FYUP was scrapped in June last year after the NDA government came to office and following pressure from UGC that it be done away with.

Latest News from State News Desk