In a statement, Vice Chancellor of Delhi University Dinesh Singh asked principals of various colleges affiliated to the varsity to start admissions for the new session.

"In line with the directive of the UGC, the University has decided to roll back the FYUP. Consequently, the admission process shall be conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13 in all the colleges of the University of Delhi," Singh said.

The decision puts an end to the uncertainty over the admission process for 2014-15 which was triggered due to the stand-off between DU and UGC over FYUP.

Over 2.7 lakh students have applied for admissions to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the varsity.
    
The admissions were to begin on June 24 but have been delayed due to the stalemate.
    
Singh said DU recognizes the need of the hour and it is of ‘paramount importance’ to protect the interests of the students by ensuring the start of the admission process.
    
"It is expected that the principals of our colleges shall assist in devising and ensuring a speedy completion of the admission process," he said.

The decision comes as a relief to the students who took admission into the FYUP course last year.

The UGC had earlier rejected Delhi University's proposal to amend the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) and asked it to immediately begin undergraduate admissions under three-year course.

Meanwhile, the Principals' Association of Delhi University on Friday met to deliberate how to go about with the admissions.
SRCC principal P C Jain said they would meet the VC to discuss how to go forward with the admission process under the three-year undergraduate programme.

"Principals will individually put forth their issues before the VC," he said.

On being asked about the fate of students pursuing four- year B.Tech courses, Pro-VC Sudheesh Pachauri said that "as of now the statement of the VC is our text. We do not know anything less or more".

The Delhi University Teachers Association (DUTA) welcomed the VC's statement with its executive committee member Vijaya Venkataraman saying that the "democratic functioning" of the university has been upheld.

She also lauded the efforts of HRD Minister Smriti Irani and said the ministry has given an assurance that students' interest will not be compromised.

Amit Awana, President of Delhi University Students' Union, also hailed the decision to roll back FYUP.

"The long movement against FYUP by students has finally succeeded. Also, this will put an end to the dilemma that students had been facing since past three days regarding when the admission process will start," he said.

Reaction from political parties was also pouring in following the rollback of the programme.

CPI welcomed the scrapping of FYUP and said it was a "great victory" of teachers, students and officials of DU.

"CPI is of the view that the autonomy of the university should not be disturbed and UGC should be careful in future to not to allow this type of deviation from the nationally accepted position in higher education which causes hardship to the students," it said.

 

DU B.Tech students stage protest outside UGC office

Several B.Tech students of DU staged a protest outside the UGC office here on Friday demanding that their four-year curriculum should not be changed into a three-year course.
    
The agitating students demanded that their course should not be converted to B.Sc and said that they would continue to protest "indefinitely" till a written assurance on the same is given by the Commission.
    
"If B.Tech degree is converted into B.Sc, this will be an injustice as we had enrolled in the Delhi University for a B.Tech degree and we expect to obtain the same," Arjun Malhotra, a student of B.Tech in Computer Science, said.
    
The Delhi University had introduced six B.Tech courses in its curriculum under FYUP last year.
    
Earlier in the day, when asked about the fate of students pursuing four-year B.Tech courses, DU Pro-Vice Chancellor Sudheesh Pachauri had said that "as of now the statement of the VC is our text. We do not know anything less or more".
    
The B.Tech students had also submitted a memorandum to senior UGC official on June 25 demanding that their interests be taken into consideration while deciding on how to seamlessly migrate to the three-year course.
    
Another DU B.Tech student Ansh Goyal said, "We had submitted a memorandum to the senior UGC official and had urged them to take our interests into consideration, but they ignored our demands."
    
"If converted to B.SC, the degree won't hold any market value," he added.

(JPN/Agencies)        

Latest News from India News Desk