The 13-hour gag order was issued by Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operations) Sanjay Barkund from 11 am till midnight of Thursday.

Following this, all TV channels voluntarily dissuaded from telecasting the funeral procession and the last rites. Certain TV channels even flashed a notice, saying they would not telecast the funeral as Memon was a traitor and they would not make him a 'hero' by publicizing his last rites.

The police order restraining the media said, “Reports were received of every likelihood of breach of peace and disturbance of public tranquility and also there is a grave danger to human life, health and safety and injury to public property on that account".

The March 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict was executed at 6.35 am in Nagpur on Thursday. His body was handed over to his family and flown to Mumbai by an air ambulance for the funeral rites.

 

Latest News from India News Desk

 

Gag order on Yakub Memon funeral; media blacks out telecast

 

Memon funeral, Media blacks out, Photographing of funeral of Memon, Funeral procession, hanged convict, Yakub Memon, Latest Nation News

 

Mumbai: Not willing to take any chances, police here on Thursday issued a gag order to the media barring it from photographing and video-graphing the funeral procession and the last rites of hanged convict Yakub Memon.

 

The 13-hour gag order was issued by Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operations) Sanjay Barkund from 11 am till midnight of Thursday.

 

Following this, all TV channels voluntarily dissuaded from telecasting the funeral procession and the last rites. Certain TV channels even flashed a notice, saying they would not telecast the funeral as Memon was a traitor and they would not make him a 'hero' by publicizing his last rites.

 

The police order restraining the media said, “Reports were received of every likelihood of breach of peace and disturbance of public tranquility and also there is a grave danger to human life, health and safety and injury to public property on that account".

 

The March 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict was executed at 6.35 am in Nagpur on Thursday. His body was handed over to his family and flown to Mumbai by an air ambulance for the funeral rites.

 

 

================

 

Medical experts allow abortion in 14-year-old rape victim's case

 

Medical experts, Abortion of rape victim, Rape victim, Supreme Court, Minor rape, Pregnancy, Latest States News

 

 

Ahmedabad: Following the Supreme Court's directive, a medical team here this evening gave permission for termination of a minor rape victim's 25-week-old pregnancy though the law allows abortion only until the 20th week.

 

"A panel of five doctors -- four from civil hospital and a private practitioner -- has given the nod for abortion," superintendent of the civil hospital M M Prabhakar told reporters.

 

The Supreme Court had Tuesday last come to the rescue of the 14 years old victim who had been denied permission to abort the foetus by the sessions as well as the High Court. The Apex Court said she can undergo abortion if medical experts allow it.

 

The abortion is likely to be performed tomorrow, Prabhakar said. The girl became pregnant after being allegedly raped by doctor Jatin Mehta whom she had visited for treatment of typhoid earlier this year.

 

The Supreme Court bench of Justices A R Dave and Kurian Joseph had cited it would ask the civil hospital here to get the girl examined by gynaecologists and a clinical psychologist.

 

"If they say that she has to be operated upon then let them do it with the consent of the girl and her parents," the Apex Court had added.

 

Earlier, Gujarat High Court's Justice Abhilasha Kumari had refused permission for abortion on July 24 on the ground that the law does not allow it after 20 weeks of pregnancy. The girl's father had first moved the sessions court seeking termination of pregnancy, saying she was in no position to take care of the child.