New Delhi: Two more persons have been arrested in connection with the gangrape of a 23-year-old student, who remained on ventilator in a critical condition, police said on Tuesday.

READ MORE:Delhi: Rapes in moving vehicles on surge
With the two arrests, the total number of persons arrested in this case has climbed to four.    
Two persons were arrested on Monday.
The incident triggered outrage with students of Jawaharlal Nehru University staging a demonstration outside Vasant Kunj Police Station.

Rapes in moving vehicles in Delhi
  • 4 cases already reported this year
  • 2001: Woman gangraped in moving Blueline bus
  • 2003: Filmmaker abducted, raped by two men in a moving car in South Delhi
  • 2005: DU student raped in a moving car by four men near Dhaula Kuan
  • 2006: Class 12 girl raped by four young men in West Delhi
  • 2010: Two women working in a factory raped by four men in North Delhi
  • 2010: BPO employee gangraped for 40 minutes in a moving vehicle
  • 2011: Class 10 student of Gurgaon abducted and raped in South Delhi
  • 2012: Minor travelling with her two friends abducted at gunpoint, raped in moving car
  • 2012: Girl employed with a Delhi Jal Board call centre gangraped by eight men on the outskirts of Faridabad
  • 2012: Five men allegedly assaulted, robbed and gangraped a woman in a car while she was returning home in North Delhi
  • 2012: Girl gangraped by seven people in a luxury bus

The 23-year-old para-medical student was raped and brutally assaulted by four men who also attacked her male friend and threw both of them out of the vehicle.
Last night, Ram Singh, the driver of the bus in which the girl was raped, and his brother Yogesh were arrested. Singh and Yogesh are the first to be arrested, police said and added that Yogesh was driving the bus when Singh allegedly raped the girl along with others.    

The condition of the girl remained critical and she was on ventilator in Safdarjung Hospital.
Both the girl and her male friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in south Delhi around 9.45 PM to Palam, were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted before they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover, police said.
Sources said police managed to get the CCTV footage of the bus from which they managed to zero in on the bus. The investigators also send text messages to mobile phones of the victims which were snatched by the attackers.
"One of the phones was active and it helped us to pinpoint on them," a senior police official said.
Police have recovered the iron rod which was used to assault the victim and her male friend, the official said.
Students, who were protesting outside the police station, said Delhi cannot stand women stepping out of their homes at night.
"We try to create awareness in every locality but nobody cares. Government and police must ensure that harassment of women in Delhi should stop. Only CCTVs won't work," one of the protesters said.


Latest News from India News Desk