Speaking after a meeting with some 200 relatives of the victims in the French capital, prosecutor Brice Robin also announced the probe into the crash was being expanded to see if anyone could be held liable for manslaughter.

Grieving relatives were shown three different reconstructions of what had happened in the cockpit on their trip to Paris to seek answers about the doomed flight, said the head of a disaster support group who attended the meeting.

"The French penal code forbids me from opening a judicial enquiry for murder because the perpetrator is dead," explained Robin at a press conference.

Investigators say that 27-year-old German co-pilot Andreas Lubitz intentionally downed the plane en route from Barcelona to Duesseldorf on March 24.

He is known to have suffered severe depression and the disaster has cast a spotlight on how airline companies monitor the health of their pilots.Robin said Lubitz, who suffered from 'psychosis' and was terrified of losing his sight, consulted 41 different doctors in the past five years.

Stephane Gicquel, the head of the support group, said the "stakes" in the expanded probe were to find out if there had been errors in tracking the mental state of the co-pilot.

Latest News from World News Desk