Jamshedpur: A teenaged girl has died after she consumed poison while her lover was struggling for life in a hospital in Bagri village in adjoining Seraikela-Kharswan district in the wee hours on Saturday.

The body of the girl Revati Singh Sardar (17) was found in a paddy field near the village while her 20-year-old lover Mantu Mahto was being shifted to the M G M Hospital here.

His condition is serious and was struggling for life.

The duo had once fled to get marry after the girl’s marriage had been fixed in another place by the parents, sources said adding that the family members of Sardar had brought her back home recently.

However, they consumed phosphorous after their attempt to elope failed last evening.

(Agencies)