Banita Kahnhar, a Class III student of Sevashram School run by Odisha government at Girishchandrapur village, accidentally fell into the cauldron when the students were jostling to get the egg curry while the mid-day-meal was being served in the school.

The girl was first taken to VSS Medical College Hospital at Burla and then shifted to the SCB Medical College Hospital at Cuttack on Saturday evening. After battling for life during the surgery ward of the hospital, she died on Sunday, said hospital emergency officer BN Maharana.

"The girl had sustained 70 percent burn injuries, most of which were of third degree in nature as she remained unattended on the cooking bowl for a longer period," doctors at the SCB Medical College Hospital, Cuttack said.

There are altogether 323 students in the boarding school. As Banita belonged to the same village, she was not staying in the hostel.

The district administration paid Rs 10,000 for the cremation of the girl and assured to recommend for payment of ex-gratia from the Chief Minister's relief fund.

(Agencies)

Latest News from State News Desk