Revamping your home decor needn’t always be a major project and you don’t always have to spend a king’s ransom to do it. There are lots of quick, easy and inexpensive things you can do to your home that will make it look bright and fresh. Here are some tips to help you spruce up the place without breaking the bank.
- Chose the right furniture: When it comes to choosing furniture, try to be simple and sophisticated. Choosing furniture with a similar style and weight makes any room look balanced, and strategically placed color draws your eye farther into the room. Multipurpose furniture is the way to go for those with small spaces or who like to have everything in its place. Replace your heavy furniture with neat, multi-functional ones. Sofas seem too cumbersome so they can be conveniently replaced by chairs which have sleek curves and look like sofas. Also the couches with geometric angles accentuate a modern home decor. Avoid particleboard and light aluminum frames and stick with solid wood construction if you want the furniture piece to feel solid and heavy. Choose a silhouette that you will love now and in the future. Lighter colored fabrics can be appropriate for a formal living room, foyer, or bedroom. Look for furniture that has an element of the unexpected or has some personality.
- Add colours to your home: We all agonize over how to choose colour, especially when it comes to our homes. One strategic way to mix and match your furnishings is through use of color. It's a great way to provide continuity in a room with pieces of different styles. Colors like white, gray, cream, silver, beige and black, are the most popular choices be it for the paint on the walls or the fabrics or the upholstery. However, it will be a good idea to go for white or cream color for the walls with a few new pieces of furniture in the room in bright red color. The furniture will certainly stand out in such subtle backgrounds. Instead of repainting a whole room, just paint one wall in a focal colour or paint a contrasting rectangle over a sofa to use as a “gallery” space. When selecting a color, consider the mood of a room. Soft, cool colors and neutrals usually create a quieter feeling while stronger colors are for drama.
- Be careful about flooring: A new floor, like refreshed paint and updated fixtures, makes a home more enjoyable to live in as well as more marketable flooring can be of hardwood, tile or concrete. Shiny white color tiles look particularly good in a modern living room. To add to the flamboyance, place some carpets and rugs on the floor. When considering new flooring you should evaluate your lifestyle. Many people prefer hard surface floors for high traffic areas of the home and carpet for bedrooms or dens. If you have rich, dark walls, a lighter floor creates a dramatic difference. White and light walls may look more dramatic when paired with mid-tone or dark floors.
- Light up your house: One more significant component of your home décor is the lighting. It plays a key role in the final look that your home exudes. Whether it's natural or artificial – it plays a role in the mood of a room, too. You can change the amount of light in a room very simply and economically. Depending on the size of a space, both floor and table lighting is always recommended. Overhead lighting adds a fantastic touch if it’s done right. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to lamps and lighting. You can also get a few metallic lamps, place them on either side of the sofa. Also, add a few spotlights, to highlight your favorite accessories in your modern home.
- Accessorize your paradise: As far as choices of accessories are concerned, too much of a good thing is too much. It is better to go for those that have some well-defined geometric shapes to them. Round mirrors with a silver metallic frame, glass vases in some unusual angular shapes, sculptures in black or white color, and a collage made from black and white framed photographs of the family are some of the finest options for you regarding accessories. Ceramic pots, sleek lamps, a metallic chandelier, contemporary black and white paintings will bring grandeur to the decor. Creating a gallery wall of family photos and other small pictures in matching (or contrasting) frames, arranged in a collage on a large wall such as a stairwell or hallway will also look great. A nice painting on a wall can give extra edge to your room.
Latest News from Lifestyle News Desk