Bodies of two men were extricated from the rubble on Saturday morning as rescue operations entered the seventh day, Director of Fire and emergency services Ashok Menon said.

The five-storey building at Canacona town, 70 kms from here, had collapsed last Saturday.

The rescuers had began clearing the debris little after the tragedy but met with a roadblock on Monday when they had to withdraw operations due to threat to adjacent buildings following which manual rescue work began on Tuesday.

Sixteen people were thereafter pulled alive out of the wreckage.

Menon said that the rescue operations will get over by Saturday evening and more bodies are feared trapped inside.

Earlier this week, police arrested a senior town and country planning department officer holding him responsible for licensing faulty buildings while several others including the builders are on the run.

(Agencies)

Latest News from India News Desk