Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said the rescue operations were withdrawn after two adjacent buildings on the site tilted precariously with one of them developing cracks due to constant drilling of the debris.

"I issued directions to the rescuers to pull out from the site. If the adjacent buildings collapsed, there would have been more casualties," Parrikar said.

"Mostly we will demolish the adjacent building before proceeding with the clearing of the debris," he said, adding the work cannot be bracketed under 'rescue' because there was a faint possibility of finding any more survivors.

The state government also formed a three member committee headed by a retired IAS officer V K Jha to probe the cause of the collapse and also for future action to ensure that such incidents do not recur.

Parrikar, however ruled out a judicial probe in the matter at this moment. The CM said that the collapsed building was given the occupancy certificate (OC) on December 26 last year by local authorities without obtaining Structural Stability

Goa police has already filed case against three builders Jaideep Saigal, Pradeepsingh Birring and Vishwas Desai, all of whom are still untraceable, Parrikar said.

Also, government will stop all the projects of this realty group (Bharat Realtors and Developers in which the three accused hold stake) in Goa until probe is on, he said.
Action would also be initiated against the officers from Town and Country Planning department who gave permit for this building project with 80 flats without referring the file to higher-ups, which is mandatory as per law, the CM said.


Latest News from State News Desk