- In January last year, were worth USD 1.57 billion, according to the Commerce Ministry data.
- In December 2015, the imports of the metal had more than doubled, year-on-year, to USD 3.80 billion.
- India is the largest importer of gold in the world, the demand of which mostly comes from the jewellery industry.
- During the April-January period of the current fiscal, gold imports have increased to USD 29.36 billion as against USD 27.42 billion in the first 10 months of 2014-15.
- For the entire 2014-15 fiscal, gold was the third-largest commodity imported to India after crude oil and electronic items. Gold imports stood at USD 34.32 billion last fiscal.
- In terms of volume, India - the world's second-biggest gold consumer - had imported around 900 tonnes in 2014.
- Gold prices in the international market have fallen to a five-year low.
- India imported 850 tonnes of gold during January-September period of 2015, as against 650 tonnes in the year-ago period.
- In the July-September quarter of the current fiscal, CAD rose to USD 8.2 billion or 1.6 percent of the GDP, from 1.2 percent or USD 6.1 billion in the April-June quarter.
Latest News from Business News Desk