Mumbai: One of the fugitives Wazhul Kamar Khan, whose name figures in the 50 most wanted list given by India to Pakistan, has been found staying in Thane district.

Khan has been living in Thane's Waghle Estate with his mother, wife and children, after he was let out on bail, police sources said.

He was arrested last year for his alleged role in the 2003 Mulund train blasts here.

Asked about Khan's presence in Maharashtra, state Home Minister R R Patil said he is looking into the issue.

"I have sought information in the matter," Patil said, when asked about the police being left red-faced after reports that the apparent goof-up by the Crime Branch and ATS here led to Wazhul's inclusion in the 'most wanted' list.

He is also accused in the 2003 Vile-Parle and Ghatkopar blasts besides the 2002 Mumbai Central station blasts, they said.
The Vile Parle, Mulund and Ghatpokar cases have been clubbed together and the trial is yet to begin, the sources said.

On March 13, 2003, 11 people were killed and more than 80 were injured when a bomb exploded in a ladies coach at the Mulund Railway Station here.

Same year in January, an explosion took place near the suburban railway station in Vile Parle in which one person was killed and over 25 injured.

Later in July 2003, a bomb exploded in a public transport bus in Ghatkopar, claiming four lives and leaving several others injured. In December 2002, an explosion near Mc Donalds in Mumbai Central station had left 25 people injured.

Khan is accused of having transported bombs to these sites to execute the blasts.

India had on Wednesday come out with the list of 50 'most wanted fugitives' hiding in Pakistan. They include underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, 26/11 mastermind and Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed and dreaded terrorist Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.

The list has Saeed on top, followed by Major Iqbal, a suspected serving Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) officer, who also figures in the FBI indictment in a Chicago court in connection with the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Wazhul Khan said he was shocked to learn that his name figured in the '50 most wanted' list.

"I am here in Thane since years and how come they included my name in the most wanted list, that was sent to Pakistan. I was told to meet police officials today," 44-year-old Khan said.

Khan, who is into zari business, had a passport which he lost some time back and has never been to Pakistan, he claimed.

“I am innocent in all the cases. I had no role to play in the Mulund or any other blasts. I was falsely implicated, I have been regularly attending court proceedings and I am sure that I will prove my innocence in the court," Khan said.

Khan said he had gone to Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh for a few years after being implicated in the blasts cases.

"When I returned, I started a zari manufacturing unit in Mumbai's Dharavi area. By showing me as one of the 50 most wanted accused, the police are making my life hell," he said.

Khan's wife Ayesha said they have been living in Mumbai from the past 12 years. "We belong to UP and have been living in the city for many years," she said.

City Deputy Police Commissioner (Operations), Rajkumar Vhatkar refused to comment on the goof-up.

Goof-up in list of 50 fugitives?


Meanwhile, embarrassed over the goof-up, the government has ordered an inquiry to find out how the name of an accused in the 2003 Mulund train blasts, living in a Mumbai suburb, has figured in India's most wanted list of fugitives handed over to Pakistan.

Official sources said the inquiry will cover the whole process of preparing the list of 50 most wanted fugitives at different stages and pin-point the officials responsible in including the name of Wazhul Kamar Khan, who was arrested last year for his alleged role in the 2003 Mulund train blasts.

"It could have been a cut and paste job at some stage. We will find out who is responsible for it," a source said.

The Home Ministry is also seeking a report from the Maharashtra Police about the status of Khan's case and his current location.

The list was prepared in consultation with Maharashtra Police, National Investigation Agency and Central Bureau of Investigation.
The Vile Parle, Mulund and Ghatpokar cases have been clubbed together and the trial is yet to begin, the sources said.

(Agencies)