Ahmedabad:  Top Gujarat Congress leaders and scores of party workers were on Monday detained as they tried to take out a rally from Sabarmati Ashram here to state capital of Gandhinagar in the protest against suspension of opposition leader Shaktisinh Gohil from the state Assembly.

Police thwarted the attempt of Congress workers, who after attending a public meeting at the Ashram, tried to take out the march under the banner of 'Save Democracy' to Gandhinagar, against the policies of the ruling BJP government.

Among the leaders who were detained include Gujarat Congress incharge Mohan Prakash, state unit party chief Arjun Modhvadia, campaign committee chief Shankarsinh Vaghela, Union ministers Dinsha Patel, Tushar Chaudhary, Bharatsinh Solanki and the office-bearers namely Narhari Amin and Siddarth Patel, besides hundreds of party workers.

Congress was given permission only to hold a protest and not for a march to Gandhinagar. Police then had to detained the leaders and party workers by use of force, officials said.

"It is unfortunate that we are not been given right to protest and our people are being detained," Modhvadia said.

Congress was protesting against suspension of Gohil from Assembly on March 2 for the entire Budget session following his refusal to tender an apology in the House over his remarks on alleged nexus between the government and Adani Group.

Earlier, the Congress had sought permission from the Gandhiangar district administration to protest in front of the state Assembly, but it was denied owing to the code of election conduct as by-election to Mansa assembly constituency will be held soon.

Modhvadia alleged that the Speaker's decision to suspend Gohil was a "ploy" by the state government, as it feared getting exposed on the issue of corruption.

Meanwhile, Congress MLAs disrupted the proceedings of the Gujarat Assembly after the news reached their that their party leaders and workers were detained by the police.

They raised the issue on the floor of the House and resorted to anti-government sloganeering that lasted for ten minutes.

Speaker Ganpat Vasava adjourned the House for 10 minutes following the ruckus.