Balaghat:  A high alert has been sounded in the Naxal-hit Balaghat district of Madhya Pradesh following kidnapping of an IAS officer in neighbouring Chhattisgarh with the police advising public representatives and officials to take security measures while touring remote areas.

"In view of the rising incidents of Naxal activities in the country, officials and public representatives were advised to remain alert and should take adequate security with them while going on tours," Balaghat's Superintendent of Police Sachin Atulkar told reporters.

He said that it had been observed that many a times number of officials and leaders went on tours without informing police and thus exposing themselves to attacks by the ultras.

The MLAs Ramesh Bhatere (Lanjhi), Ramkishore Kawde (Paraswada) and Bhagat Netam (Baihar) were specially advised to inform police about their tour programmes in advance and remain alert.

The security situation in Balaghat district was being reviewed, the SP said, adding search operations in Dabri, Sulsuli and Tikapal forest areas bordering Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh have been intensified on tip off of Naxal movement there. Sukma District Collector Alex Paul Menon was kindapped by Naxals on Saturday.

(Agencies)