Jammu: In a shocking exposure, the number of HIV positive cases is on the rise in Jammu & Kashmir, which in the past five years has been reporting such cases almost every day on an average.

According to reports, the state till month of October this year has collected information about as many as 3,066 HIV positive cases compared to 1,130 cases in 2007.

As per the figures released by the J&K State AIDS Prevention and Control Society, of the 3,066 HIV positive cases reported till October this year, 1,371 have been diagnosed with AIDS. 65 percent of them are male while the remaining 35 percent are females.
The cases have been mostly reported from Jammu, Kathua and Srinagar districts.

The situation is more worrisome because as many as 203 patients have died due to AIDS so far. These patients majorly belong to financially weak background. Moreover, lack of awareness among the masses has also played a crucial role behind the rise of positive cases. 

Till October 2011, a total of 405 fresh HIV positive cases came to light. It is comparatively less as compared to the figures in 2010 (461 cases) and 2009 (606 cases). In a positive note, the cases registered this year have shown a remarkable decrease if we look at the numbers of past three years.

Observing the sheer increase in the HIV cases, the J&K government is planning to appoint counselors in every hospital in the state.

Responding over the serious issue, Dr Rakesh Khajuria of J&K AIDS Control Society said, “The condition is really alarming. The people are being made aware of the disease as we are sparing no efforts to check the menace. Presently, anti-retroviral treatment is being provided to 739 patients in the state.”

JPN/Bureau