New Delhi: Terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen on Wednesday claimed responsibility for attack in Srinagar in which five CRPF jawans were killed.

READ MORE: Terror attack in Srinagar, 5 jawans dead

In a first suicide attack in Kashmir in three years, militants on Wednesday stormed a CRPF camp in Bemina area of the city, killing five jawans and injuring seven others. Some civilians also sustained severe injuries in the incident. The two militants, who carried out the attack, were also killed.

Meanwhile, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde in New Delhi said that the group affiliation and identity of the militants is a matter of investigation.

“We are analyzing how the attack has come. We can’t say at what time and when the terror strike will take place. This is an indication that we need to be very alert in Jammu and Kashmir. It’s a sad incident and we will take action,” he said.

The CRPF camp at Bemina is surrounded by a Public School and many government buildings. However, the school was closed due to strike called by separatists in support of their demand for return of mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.

This is the first suicide attack in Kashmir in the past three years.  The last such an strike took place in January 2010. Earlier on March 2, militants had shot dead two policemen in Handwara area of Kupwara district.

Raghwendra Shukla/JPN/Agencies

Latest News from India News Desk