Melbourne, (Agencies): Australia’s Mike Hussey said he was shocked to be dropped from the ICC Cricket World Cup squad and felt he should have been given a chance to recover.

Hussey has been in good form off late and was the Australian major contributor in the recent Ashes series. He was selected for the World Cup to be played in the Indian sub-continent despite rupturing his hamstring in a one-dayer against England last month. However, the middle-order was later dropped.

Cricket Australia did not take any chance and had replaced Hussey with Callum Ferguson in the 15-man squad.

"I'm really disappointed and a bit shocked by the news," the 35-year-old said.

"I tried to push my case forward. I said I would really push (to be fit) by the second game and definitely right by the third game but it's not a risk the selectors wanted to take.

"It's a pretty hard pill to swallow, that's for sure."

Hussey said he felt that he should have been given the same chance as Andrew Symonds had been in 2007, when the all-rounder missed the early part of the tournament through injury.

"The precedence had sort of been set at the last one with Andrew Symonds," Hussey added. "He came in for the third or fourth game and played a really big part in our team.

"I was hoping that it would be the same sort of thing for me; they'd give me every chance to have a crack at it at least."

Hussey had terrific Ashes this summer with two brilliant tons under his belt.

"This just shows you can't look too far ahead. it can all end pretty quickly," Hussey said.

Australia will leave for India later on Wednesday and play their first Group A match of the tournament against Zimbabwe in Ahmedabad on February 21.