New Delhi: IIT-Delhi on Friday accepted the common entrance test for admission to the undergraduate programme for 2013 based on percentile ranking and retain the existing eligibility condition for students who passed their board examination this year.
    
IIT-Delhi senate, which met here today to discuss the IIT council decision of June 27, adopted the format but with some modification, recommending that a student has to satisfy either being among the top 20 percentile or have scored a minimum of 60 percent score at the board for admission.
    
It further recommended that the syllabus of the main and the advance test under the new two-tier format should be identical to each other.
    
"We have accepted the common entrance test under the format proposed by the IIT council for 2013 only," said an IIT-Delhi senate member.
    
For 2014 and onwards, he said the senate resolved for setting up a committee to go into the entire gamut of the admission process and arrive at recommendations.
    
The meeting was called to examine IIT council's decision of June 27 which adopted the common entrance test under a compromise formula for admission to undergraduate programme based on percentile ranking of students in their boards.
    
IIT-Delhi along with IIT-Kanpur had earlier rejected the common entrance test under a proposed format, forcing the HRD Ministry to float a compromise formula which was adopted by the IIT council.
    
IIT-Bombay and IIT-Kanpur have accepted the new format.

It was decided that students who have passed out their board exam this year should not be disturbed with the new format and allowed to appear as per the existing eligibility condition in 2013 also, the senate member said.
    
As per the existing criteria, students are given two chances to clear the IIT-JEE.
    
He said there was no objection to the number of students proposed to be filtered for the advance exam in 2013 under the new two-tier format.
    
As per the format adopted by IIT Council, about 1.50 lakh students are to be screened for the advanced test.
    
While IIT-Bombay has suggested restricting the number of 50,000, IIT Kanpur has decided to take a decision on this after finalisation of the nature of the exam (whether it should be objective or subjective) by the Joint Admission Board of the IITs.

IIT-Kanpur senate, which was the first to reject the common entrance under a proposed format, at a meeting last week decided to "accept as an interim measure" for JEE 2013 the IIT council's decision keeping in view the urgent need to remove uncertainties from the minds of students.
    
For JEE 2014 and beyond, the meeting recommended setting up of a senate committee that will study all aspects of the admission process and arrive at recommendations.
    
It said the study should be based on sound methodological principles supported by data collected from appropriate original sources.

(Agencies)

Latest News from India News Desk