New Delhi: Now India has formally appealed to Pakistan to take a sympathetic and humanitarian view of Sarabjit Singh's case and release him. This comes hours after the Pak panel turned down the request of Sarabjit’s kin to send him abroad for better treatment.

India also demanded that the attack on the death row convict, Sarabjit Singh, should be thoroughly investigated and those found responsible should be duly punished. It further said that Pakistan government should ensure safety and security of all Indian prisoners in their custody.

READ MORE: Pak decides not to send Sarabjit abroad

With doctors in Lahore hospital saying that chances of survival of Sarabjit were ‘slim’, the four-member Pakistani panel earlier in the day was asked to decide whether he should be sent abroad for better treatment. Dismissing family’s demand, the panel decided not to send Sarabjit abroad.


Indian High Commission officials on Monday visited Sarabjit for the second time in as many days after permission was granted by Pakistani authorities following an initial denial. "The officials visited Singh in the Lahore hospital. His condition remains unchanged," a spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.


Sarabjit's sister Dalbir Kaur, wife Sukhpreet Kaur and daughters Swapandeep and Poonam, visited him at the hospital after arriving here on Monday from India.

A senior doctor of the state-run Jinnah Hospital said that Sarabjit's sister, wife and two daughters were allowed to see him through a window from outside the intensive care unit as it was "not good for the patient as well as attendants to get close to each other". "Sarabjit Singh's face is swollen, he was beaten with iron rods... He is unconscious, in a very critical condition..." his sister Dalbir Kaur said.

Sarabjit's wife Sukhpreet has appealed to Pakistani authorities to send her husband back to India for better treatment.


Pakistani doctors treating a comatose Sarabjit said there has been no improvement in his condition and chances of survival are "slim" even as his distraught family visited him and demanded that he be sent to India for better treatment.
More than 45 hours after he was admitted to Jinnah Hospital with a severe head injury, there has been "no sign" of recovery or improvement in his condition, the doctors were quoted as saying by sources.

The doctors believe 49-year-old Sarabjit's chances of survival are "slim" as he sustained injuries over a widespread area of his head that led to unconsciousness.

Sources said his skull was fractured after being hit on the head with bricks and his face and torso cut with weapons fashioned from spoons and pieces of ghee tins during the brutal assault on Friday when he was attacked by at least six other prisoners within his barrack at Kot Lakhpat Jail.

The doctors found a haematoma (a localised collection of blood outside vessels) larger than 3 cm, indicating that he was in need of surgical intervention, sources said.

Another source quoted doctors as saying that Sarabjit's condition was measured as 5 on the Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS), which indicates the level of damage to a person's central nervous system.  The lowest possible GCS score is 3 while the highest is 15. The GCS assesses level of consciousness after a profound head injury and Sarabjit's reading indicated deep unconsciousness, making his treatment a major neurosurgical challenge for the medical board set up by authorities, the source said.

After the medical board examined Sarabjit again on Monday, its members agreed it would not be possible to perform surgery on him at this stage. The medical board's members are Anjum Habib Vohra, neurosurgeon and principal of Post-Graduate Medical Institute, Jinnah Hospital neuro-department head Zafar Chaudhry and Naeem Kasuri, neuro-physician of King Edward Medical University.

A separate intensive care unit has been set up in Jinnah Hospital for Sarabjit because of security concerns. People have been barred from approaching the unit and a large police contingent has been deployed there to guard him.

Earlier on Monday, India sought "regular consular access" to Sarabjit after Pakistani authorities imposed restrictions on meeting him. Official sources in New Delhi said, that India is also seeking permission for the Indian members of the India-Pakistan judicial committee to visit Sarabjit.

Meanwhile, the two main accused in the attack on Sarabjit have told investigators that they planned to kill him to take revenge for bombings he was accused of carrying out in Lahore in 1990.

According to a preliminary report prepared by Deputy Inspector General of Police (Prisons) Malik Mubashir, the accused – Amer Aftab and Mudassar, both death row prisoners – said they hated Sarabjit because he was accused of killing many Pakistanis in the bomb blasts in Lahore.

Aftab and Mudassar, however, could not offer satisfactory answers as to why they started hating Sarabjit and planned his murder only in the recent past even though both had been held in Kot Lakhpat Jail for several years.


Sarabjit was convicted by a Pakistani court for alleged involvement in the bombings in Punjab that killed 14 people. Sarabjit's family says he is the victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state. His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former President Pervez Musharraf. The outgoing Pakistan Peoples Party-led government put off Sarabjit's execution for an indefinite period in 2008. Sarabjit's family says he is a victim of mistaken identity and had inadvertently strayed across the border in an inebriated state.


Latest News from India News Desk