New Delhi: India on Monday made it clear that it has no plans to thin out troops from wartime positions in border areas where they were deployed post 26/11.
   
Denying the report published in Pakistani daily Express Tribune, the Defence Ministry here said, "There are no such plans (to move troops from their existing locations)."
   
Quoting unnamed military and diplomatic channels, the news report had said that the two countries reached an understanding on withdrawal of troops during the visit of President Asif Ali Zardari last month.
   
Issuing a denial of the report, Defence Ministry Spokesperson Sitanshu Kar here said, "The report published in Express Tribune, Islamabad edition, dated May 14, 2012, that 'India may move troops to peace time locations' is completely incorrect and without any basis. There are no such plans."
   
The report had also claimed that the formal announcement about the withdrawal of troops is likely to be made during the visit of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visits to
Islamabad.
   
Quoting unnamed military and diplomatic officials, the report had also said that the visit is likely to take place sometime in September or October.

The newspaper also claimed that there could be some "major announcements" on long pending Siachen glacier and Sir Creek issues.
   
There is a possibility that both sides might agree on troop withdrawal from Siachen, where an avalanche buried 139 people at a high-altitude Pakistan Army camp on April 7, it added.

(Agencies)

 

Latest News from India News Desk