New Delhi: India on Wednesday summoned the Pakistan High Commissioner to convey a "strong protest" over the Pakistani Army action in which two Indian soldiers were killed and their bodies subjected to "barbaric and inhuman mutilation" in Jammu and Kashmir.

Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir was summoned by Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai, who made it clear that these incidents were "unacceptable" and that Pakistan has to uphold the sanctity of the Line of Control, according to official sources.

During the 30-minute meeting, Bashir was told by Mathai that regular Pakistani soldiers had crossed the LoC at Mendhar sector and engaged with Indian troops who were patrolling this sector.

"Two Indian soldiers were killed in the attack and their bodies subjected to barbaric and inhuman mutilation. The government of Pakistan was asked to immediately investigate these actions that are in contravention of international conduct and ensure that these will not recur," Bashir was conveyed.

READ MORE
DGMO takes up ceasefire issue with Pak  
Jawan’s body to arrive home
Stop exchange of fire across LoC: US
Pak soldiers kill 2 Indian jawans in LoC
Pakistan Army denies cross LoC attack

'Attack extremely sensitive matter'

External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the killing and mutilation of the Indian soldiers was "an extremely sensitive matter" and "a matter of great concern to everyone".

"These are matters on which every dimension has to be examined very carefully before we say what we propose to do," he added.

'Attack highly provocative'

"Pakistan Army's action in Jammu and Kashmir was highly provocative and the way dead bodies of Indian soldiers were treated was inhuman" said Defence Minister A K Antony.

"India will convey its protest against the attack to Pakistan government," he added.

In a gruesome attack, Pakistani troops crossed into Indian territory and ambushed an Army patrol party killing two soldiers whose heads were reportedly chopped off.
    
The attack took place along the Line of Control in Poonch district when Pakistanis came about 100 metres into Indian territory and assaulted the patrol party. Besides killing two Lance Naiks, Hemraj and Sudhakar Singh, they injured two other soldiers.
    
During the brutal assault on the patrol party, the Pakistanis are said to have chopped off their heads, one of which they carried with them, informed sources said.
    
However, the Army, while confirming the killing of Indian soldiers, did not comment on reports that they had been beheaded.

Army's Additional Director General (Public Information) Major General S L Narasimhan on Tuesday confirmed that one of the two bodies was mutilated.

BJP condemns attack on Indian soldiers

Condemning the brutal killing of the two Indian soldiers, BJP said this is a "warning" to India and asked the Government to place all the facts before the international community so that Islamabad can be named and shamed before the world at large.

"The gruesome way in which the Pakistani Army killed the two Indian soldiers is a warning to India," said BJP leader Arun Jaitley. "Indian Government should now deal with Pakistan very cautiously, red lines should be drawn," Jaitley added.

Mutilation unacceptable in civilised society: Omar

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah termed killing of two Indian soldiers as "unacceptable" and said it was an attempt to derail the dialogue process between the two countries.
    
In the micro-blogging site Twitter, Omar said the report of mutilating of Indian troops was "unacceptable in any civilised society".
    
"Violation of the ceasefire is bad enough, to resort to mutilating soldiers is unacceptable in any civilised society," Omar tweeted.
    
He said that it was an attempt to derail the dialogue process between the two countries. "Clearly someone up the chain of command wants to do everything to derail any dialogue between the two countries," he said.
    
Omar expressed concern over the incident and said this escalation must cease as it may increase the infiltration from across the border. "That having been said, ceasefire must hold else infiltration will shoot up manifold under cover provided by firing," he said.

'India must review decision of peace talks'

Senior former Army officers condemned the attack by Pakistani troops with some of them raising questions over the ongoing efforts to establish peaceful relations between the two countries.
    
"It is a shocking incident that has taken place. In that intrusion one of our patrols is ambushed and then bodies are mutilated. It is a serious incident and can have serious repercussions. The point is that there have been so many ceasefire violations," former Army Chief Gen V P Malik said.
    
The former Army Chief, who led the Army during the Kargil war, said, "I do not think that our diplomatic channels are taking the gross situation into consideration. There is a serious disconnect."
    
Maj Gen (Retd) Sheru Thapliyal, who led a division in Jammu and Kashmir, said the incident highlights the point that the Pakistan Army is not serious about having peace with India.
    
"On one hand we are having these talks and holding cricket matches while on the other hand, Pakistan Army troops attack and kill our soldiers. To add insult to injury, they even decapitated our troops," he said.
    
Thapliyal said India should realise that Pakistan will not change and there should be a review of decisions to have peace talks and cricketing ties with it.

JPN/Agencies

Latest News from India News Desk