“He bolstered morale of all staff in Indian missions in Afghanistan,” said Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.

Meanwhile, Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai is expected to call the Prime Minister designate and brief him about the attack on Indian consulate in Herat.

President Pranab Mukherjee has also condemned that attack on the Indian consulate and asked Ministry of External Affairs to stay in touch with the Afghanistan government.

Four gunmen armed with heavy weapons including rocket propelled grenades attacked the Indian Consulate in Afghanistan's Herat province at 3:45 am on Friday.

Read More: Modi’s swearing-in ceremony to have three- tier security

All the diplomatic staffs were safe and three gunmen have been gunned down, one by ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police) and two by Afghan police, Indian Ambassador to Afghanistan Amar Sinha said.

In a pre-dawn assault, the gunmen attacked the building which houses the residence of Consulate General, Sinha said, adding that there were nine Indians in the mission apart from local Afghans.

One attacker was killed while climbing the wall to enter the premises of the consulate, Sinha said.

The operation is still underway and so far no group has claimed responsibility for the attack."India-Afghanistan officials (were) in touch on attack on India's Consulate in Herat. Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh (was) monitoring (the) situation," the official said.

The attack took place just months after a Taliban attack on US Consulate in the city.

Afghanistan has experienced a rise in the Taliban attacks as foreign troops plan to withdraw from the war-torn country by the end of this year.

In August last year, a failed bombing against the Indian Consulate in Jalalabad city near the border with Pakistan killed nine people, including six children. No Indian officials were hurt.

The Indian embassy in Kabul was attacked twice in 2008 and 2009 that left 75 people dead.


Latest News from India News Desk