"The touring Indian team joins the cricketing fraternity across the world in offering condolences to the family of Phillip Hughes, who has departed from our midst," said the Indian cricket team in a statement released through Cricket Australia.

"In this moment of grief, we pray that they are bestowed with divine strength to overcome this unfortunate tragedy."

The 25-year-old cricketer, who was in contention for a Test recall for the coming series against India, died at the St Vincent's Hospital, where he was battling for life after being hit on the head by a bouncer from Sean Abbot on Tuesday.

"As fellow cricketers we cherish the memories of playing along with him and deeply respect his contribution to the game of cricket," the statement said.

Hughes played 26 Tests in his short-career, scoring 1,535 runs at 32.65 with three centuries and seven fifties. His final Test was at Lord's in July 2013.

He also featured in 25 ODIs. He is the only Australian to score a century on ODI debut. His final ODI came last month against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi, a week after he played his lone T20 international against the same opposition in Dubai.

The incident happened when Hughes was batting for South Australia during a Sheffield Shield match against New South Wales on Tuesday. He was batting on 63 when he was struck by the bouncer below the helmet while trying to play a hook shot.

He was administered CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation at the ground before being taken to hospital. He underwent a 90-minute emergency operation before being placed in an induced coma in the Intensive Care Unit of the St Vincent's Hospital but he never regained consciousness.

Latest News from Sports News Desk