"Indrani is conscious. She is responding to our commands. Her condition is good. But she will remain under
observation for next 24 to 48 hours before we consult a psychiatrist and seek opinion on discharging her," Dr T P Lahane, Dean of state-run J J Hospital told reporters here.

"She is still drowsy but we have been giving her some fluids including water. Indrani is completely out of danger now," Lahane said, adding, "within 48 hours we will discharge her."

43-year-old Indrani was rushed to JJ hospital from Byculla jail on Friday afternoon in an unconscious condition after she allegedly overdosed on anti-depressant pills. To a query on the conflicting forensic findings on her suspected drug overdose, Lahane said, "The forensic test is authentic and reliable and we have accepted the findings of the report."

"We have been giving her treatment on the basis of clinical findings and she is respondig to our treatment," he said. Dr Lahane had yesterday said a report on Indrani's urine samples from Hinduja Hospital laboratory confirmed that level of benzodiazepine--an anti depressant--was found raised.

"Normally if a patient is on antidepressant drug the level of benzodiazepine in urine is 200. But the level of
benzodiazepine is 2088 as per the Hinduja report.The report is positive for drug overdose. Anti-epileptic drugs has already been ruled out. The (test) has come negative.It is only the anti-depressant that has caused the thing (collapse)," he had said.

Asked whether the report of overdose was wrong, Lahane said, "Whatever talk of overdose there has been, we can explain it two ways. We did the MRI in which the brain was found to be normal. We did other tests on the basis of clinical findings, on the basis of which diagnosis is done".

Accordingly, suitable treatment was given to her and she has responded. And after responding to it, she is now conscious," he said. About the possibility of Indrani suffering memory loss, he said,"This is something only time will tell. Generally, in such cases, there are no chances and I believe that recovery is 90 per cent to 100 per cent."

On why was she brought to the hospital, Lahane said, "Clinically, we thought the cause was overdose of medicines and accordingly she was treated and she has responded." During the court hearing, the CBI, which has taken over the investigation in the Sheena murder case, said the probe is at an initial stage and the gravity of the offence is very serious.

Latest News from India News Desk