Despite being banned from bowling in international cricket last November, the Trinidadian was named in a 15-man squad for the tournament starting in India next month, pending a test on his action at the ICC-accredited Loughborough University in England this month.

Last Friday, however, Narine pulled out of the squad citing the need for more time to work on his action. Venky Mysore, the CEO of Knight Riders, said they were backing Narine to make a successful return to international cricket despite the latest setback.

"We don't have any such concerns because he is a champion," Mysore said on Monday."His action is one of its kind in the world and what tends to happen is that in a match situation when umpires look at him, it is an unusual action which is what makes him so effective."

Narine has battled with the legality of his action in recent times. He was twice called in the Champions League Twenty20 two years ago and then was forced to undergo an Indian Cricket Board (BCCI)-approved test before he could play in last year's IPL.

Narine was again called while representing the West Indies in Sri Lanka and subsequent test showed his action exceeded the legal requirements under ICC regulations. Since then, he has been undergoing rehabilitation on his action with the help of English bowling coach Carl Crowe and Mysore said good progress had been already made.

"He has been working very, very hard. We have been supporting Sunil in all ways possible. I spoke with Carl Crowe and he is not at all concerned about Sunil going for testing and coming out well," the official pointed out.

Latest News from Sports News Desk