DK Ravi

DK Ravi, 2009 batch Karnataka cadre IAS officer, posted as Joint Commissioner, Commercial Tax Department, on 16th March 2015 ended his life by allegedly committing suicide. Ravi was known for taking on land and sand mafia while working as Deputy Commissioner in Kolar District. Ravi was found hanging from ceiling by his wife Kusuma who got suspicious when Ravi did not respond to the phone calls.

His story: 35-year-old Ravi belonged to a very modest farming background and struggled to become an IAS officer. As Deputy Commissioner in Kolar, he had earned good reputation. He had an open door policy for the poor and tried to eliminate corruption during his tenure.

According to locals, Ravi took on the sand mafia and had put an end to it in Kolar during his tenure as Deputy Commissioner. When the local police showed reluctance to prevent the powerful sand mafia, he himself led the operation against them, risking his personal safety.  Finally, the same sand mafia allegedly got him transferred to Bengaluru.

He had raided several big real estate groups with close political connections and had confiscated the encroached government land. He had declared that he would even go to jail to save the public land.

After he was transferred to Bengaluru as Additional Commissioner of Commercial Taxes, Ravi took on the traders' lobby and tax evaders' cartel. He had raided some of the big business groups.

He had prepared a list of top - 50 tax defaulters and started raids across Bengaluru. He had set a target of Rs 1000 crore tax collection from the defaulters and collected Rs 138 crore in just two weeks.

He had even forced a close associate of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah to cough up Rs 8 crore tax dues.

Satyendra Dubey

Satyendra Dubey was an Indian Engineering Service (IES) officer. He was the Project Director in the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) at Koderma. He was murdered in Gaya, Bihar for fighting corruption in the Golden Quadrilateral Highway construction project.

His Story:
Dubey discovered that the contracted firm, Larsen and Toubro, had been subcontracting the actual work to smaller low-technology groups controlled by the local mafia. According to the police's FIR after his murder, Dubey had been facing several threats following his action against corruption at Koderma.

In August 2003, he was transferred to Gaya. Dubey opposed it since he felt that it did not serve the interests of NHAI. At Gaya, he exposed flouting of NHAI rules regarding sub-contracting and quality control.

On November 27, 2003, Dubey was returning from a wedding in Varanasi. He called his driver to meet him at the station. He reached Gaya Railway Station at 3am in the morning and found that the car was not able to come because of a battery malfunction. It appears that at this point, Dubey decided to take a rickshaw to home. When he didn’t reach home, his driver went to look for him and found him dead by the side of the road in the suburb of AP Colony. He had been shot. The sensational news ignited tremendous public hue and cry. The CBI was asked to probe the matter.

The CBI registered a case against unknown persons under 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of Indian Penal Code and various provision under the Arms Act on December 14, 2003.

Narendra Kumar

Narendra Kumar Singh was an Indian Police Service officer. Narendra Kumar joined IPS in 2009. He was posted in Morena in Madhya Pradesh and was killed allegedly by members of the mining mafia in March, 2012.

His story: Murder of an IPS officer by the mining mafia created a debate on corruption in India. after many social activists including Anna Hazare protested against the incident, the government ordered the CBI probe into the matter.

He was run over by tractor carrying illegally mined stones after he tried to stop it. Kumar's wife, Madhurani Tewatia is an Indian Administrative Service officer posted in Gwalior. She was on maternity leave at the time of Kumar's death.

Kumar was posted at Banmore as a Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) a month before his death and had taken on the mining mafia by canceling several licenses and seizing a number of trucks and tractors engaged in illegal quarrying.


Shanmughan Manjunath

Shanmughan Manjunath  was a manager (grade A officer) in the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC). He was murdered for sealing a corrupt petrol station in Lakhimpur Kheri, Uttar Pradesh. This incident inspired several students at IIM, IIT and other institutes to set up "The Manjunath Shanmugam Trust".

His story:
While working for the IOC in Lucknow, he had ordered two petrol pumps at Lakhimpur Kheri sealed for selling adulterated fuel for three months. When the pump started operating again a month later, Manjunath decided to conduct a surprise raid in November 19, 2005.

Having not heard from his son for three days, at around 9 that night, his father, M Shanmughan, had sent an SMS: "How are you?". There was no reply because on that very night, during his inspection, Manjunath had been shot dead in Gola Gokarannath town of Lakhimpur Kheri. His body, riddled with at least six bullets, was found on the back seat of his own car, which was being driven by two employees of the petrol pump. Both were arrested and the main accused, pump-owner Pawan Kumar ('Monu') Mittal, was held on November 23 along with seven others. The IOC paid Rs 26 lakh to his family.

Manjunath's death came close on the heels of the assassination of Satyendra Dubey suspected to have been murdered for similar reasons (fighting corruption). Following the murder, there was immense media spotlight on the case. S. Manjunath's batchmates from IIM Lucknow (where he was affectionately called machan) also kept the story alive.

G Krishnaiah

G Krishnaiah a 1985-batch Dalit IAS officer of Bihar cadre was lynched by a mob participating in a funeral procession of Chhotan Shukla, an underworld don affiliated to Anand Mohan's Bihar People's Party (BPP) near Khaabra village on National Highway 28 on December 5, 1994 when he was returning to Gopalganj from Hajipur via Muzaffarpur after attending an official meeting. G Krishnaiah was the District Magistrate of Gopalganj.

His story: The assault on Krishnaiah was in retaliation to the gunning down of Chhotan Shukla who was a close aide of Anand Mohan and the brother of Vijay Shukla, alias Munna Shukla, currently representing Vaishali in the Bihar Assembly.

The Supreme Court upheld the judgement of Patna High Court in December 2008, convicting and sentencing former Bihar MP Anand Mohan Singh, the prime accused in the Krishnaiah's murder, to life imprisonment.

Latest News from India News Desk