Chandigarh: Reviving the demand for reservation in government jobs under OBC category, the All India Jat Sangharsh Samiti has warned the central and state governments to re-launch their massive agitation on August 15 if the quota for Jats in government jobs does not get a constitutional status.

Former Commandant Hawa Singh Sangwan, president of the association, informed that the Haryana Backward Commission appointed by the state government had promised to submit its report in the last week of March. The commission had completed its hearings by February 29 and the Jat committees of the 19 districts were asked to present their views before the commission but the unnecessary Jat movement beginning from February 19 didn’t allow the committees of the two districts- Sirsa and Fatehabad- to do so.

Sangwan further alleged that though the commission has been requested to conduct a survey in the two districts but if the Jats of the two districts fail to get the benefits of reservation, the onus will lie on the previous stir which was staged only to take the credit and had nothing to do with the real demands of the people of the community.

Further adding on, Sangwan said, “All the surveys by the commission could have been conducted before hearing the demands made by Jat representatives. The analyses alone cannot change the socio-economic condition of the rural Jat community.”

Commenting on the denial of quota for Jats in Bharatpur and Dhaulpur districts of Rajasthan, Sangwan said, “The two districts were not counted in Jat reservation list as they were previously ruled by the Jat kings.  However, excepting the two royal families in the two districts, rest of the community hardly has any good source of their livelihood.”

He said that few ambitious people have dissuaded the Jat community from joining protest in support of the quota in government jobs.

JPN/Agencies