Tripoli:  Trouble seems to have increased for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi with the International Criminal Court prosecutor seeking his arrest on Tuesday. Meanwhile, NATO jets pounded his capital after his truce offer was snubbed.

Compounding the strongman's woes, a security services building and the headquarters of Libya's anti-corruption agency were on fire in Tripoli early today after apparently being hit by NATO air strikes.

In The Hague, ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo applied on Monday for warrants to the arrest Gaddafi, his son Seif al-Islam and intelligence head Abdullah Senussi.

The Argentine prosecutor said that there was evidence "that Muammar Gaddafi personally ordered attacks on innocent Libyan civilians."

A panel of ICC judges will now decide whether to accept or reject the prosecutor's application.

Moreno-Ocampo said thousands of people had been killed and around 750,000 people forced to flee since Gaddafi ordered his forces to crush protests against his four-decade autocratic rule that began on February 15.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague called on the international community to "fully support" the ICC.

Hague said,"I welcome this announcement. The human rights situationin western Libya and the behaviour of the Gaddafi regimeremains of grave concern.”

The rebels too hailed the move by the ICC but said that Gaddafi ought to be tried in Libya first.

"The National Transitional Council welcomes the decision of chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, to request an arrest warrant," the rebel
administration's vice president, Abdel Hafez Ghoga, said.

"We would like him to be tried in Libya first before being put on trial in an international court," he added.

The Libyan regime however claimed the ICC prosecutor was acting on "incoherent" information.

Government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said, "Unfortunately, the ICC was from the start of the Libyan crisis dependent on media reports to evaluate the situation in Libya. As a result, the ICC has usually reached incoherent conclusions.”


Government spokesman Ibrahim later said that the rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) had directed NATO to attack the anti-corruption agency in a bid to destroy files related to former regime officials who have joined the rebellion.

"We believe that NATO has been misled to destroy files on their corruption cases," he said.

Parts of Tripoli have been targeted almost daily byNATO-led strikes launched on March 19 after a UN resolution called for the protection of civilians from Gaddafi's regime.

(Agencies)