The death was treated as accidental, despite traces of a caffeine pill being found in his stomach, as there were no indications of foul play or a deliberate overdose, the study said.

Japan's Health, Labour and Welfare Ministry said it was the first such case that had been reported.

The deceased apparently routinely drank highly-caffeinated drinks to stay awake during his job at a 24-hour gasoline stand. One company that manufactures such 'energy drinks' warns against drinking numerous cans or bottles of its product and for its consumers to not mix the drink with alcohol as it may cause side effects.

According to police reports, the deceased had returned home and slept. At some point thereafter he vomited and was rushed to hospital where he died.


Latest News from Lifestyle News Desk