Islamabad: The Pakistan government on Thursday said it was yet to receive a visa application from Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, who is expected to testify next week before a judicial commission on the Memogate scandal.

“We have not received a visa application from Mansoor Ijaz either at the High Commission in London or any other consulate," Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said.

Ijaz, who made public the alleged memo that had sought US help to stave off a feared military takeover in Pakistan after the killing of Osama bin Laden last year, is expected to appear before a Supreme Court-appointed judicial commission in Islamabad on January 16.

The commission recently ordered the government not to create any hurdles in issuing a visa to Ijaz.

It further directed authorities to deploy policemen and a Pakistan Army unit to guard Ijaz when he arrives in the country.

The commission directed Pakistan’s embassies in Switzerland and Britain to issue a multiple-entry visa to Ijaz as soon as it received his application and other necessary documents.

The memo issue has triggered a confrontation between the civilian government and the powerful military, with the army and intelligence chiefs saying they believe the document is authentic.

The government has said the memo is a "piece of paper" and that the President and Prime Minister played no role in drafting or delivering it to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen.

(Agencies)