Port-au-Prince: A small tremor struck the Haitian capital in which seven people suffered minor injuries when they were caught up in panicking crowd, the director of the city's public hospital said.

Haiti is still recovering from a devastating earthquake which struck Port-au-Prince 18 months ago, by most accounts leaving more than 200,000 dead and a million homeless.

Friday’s tremor registered 3.5 on the Moment magnitude scale, according to the US Geological Survey, considered a light earthquake.

Last year's quake, which struck on January 12, registered 7.0 and left the city in ruins.

"We have admitted seven injured people, including a seven-year-old, two university students, two primary students and two young adults," Alix Lassegue, who directs the Port au Prince public hospital said.

The quake occurred around 9 am (local time) and was felt in several neighbourhoods in central Port-au-Prince and the administrative buildings at the airport, according to witnesses.

Panicked residents fled their offices and homes, running into the streets.

The USGS, which monitors earthquakes worldwide, said the quake's epicenter was 16 kilometres from the capital at a depth of 10 kilometres.

(Agencies)