Cairo: Ousted Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak is still president of the country as he did not sign an official resignation, his lawyer claimed on Sunday and demanded that he be tried by a special tribunal during his concluding defence argument.
   
Lawyer Farid al Deeb said Mubarak gave up the presidency orally to former vice-president Omar Suleiman, Egypt's former spy chief who was appointed by him as vice president during a popular uprising last year.
   
"Mubarak did not write a letter of resignation. The document was signed by Omar Suleiman," al Deeb said as he presented the final session of his counter argument on Sunday.
     
Al Deeb called for Mubarak to be tried in a special tribunal, saying that Cairo criminal court is not competent to try him.
   
The comments and remarks of al-Deeb were leaked out by the journalists attending the session despite the media blackout imposed on the trial.
   
The lawyer ended his argument by asking the ousted president, who was lying on a stretcher behind the bars, not to be sad as he is a fighter who put his life at risk over and over again for his country and what he is now suffering resembles what Prophet Muhammad went through.
   
The remarks were extensively exchanged on Facebook and twitter by users who were making fun of al-Deeb.
   
Mubarak stepped down on February 11 last year after an 18-day revolt against his regime.
   
He has been on trial since August charged over the deaths of hundreds of protesters killed during the uprising.
   
Being tried with him are his former interior minister and six ex-security officials.
   
The prosecution wants Mubarak to hang for the killings.  Two of Mubarak's sons are also on trial on a variety of charges. The sons, Gamal and Alaa, have pleaded not guilty.
   
Mubarak is also facing charges of corruption along with his sons in the same court.
   
The defence began on Tuesday a five-day challenge and is due to wrap up the case concerning Mubarak and his sons later on Sunday.
   
The trial will continue with defence teams for ex-interior minister Habib al-Adly and the six security officials arguing their cases.
   
The last hearing is set for February 16. The court is then expected to recess for deliberation after which the judge will set a date for the verdict.

(Agencies)