Hyderabad: Railway Minister Mukul Roy on Tuesday visited the scene of the train disaster in Andhra Pradesh's Anantapur district.

He reviewed the rescue and relief operations at Penukonda, where the Hubli-Bangalore Hampi Express rammed into a stationary goods train early Tuesday, killing 25 people and injuring several others.

Roy also called on the injured at a hospital. He said the railways would consider providing a job to one member of the family of each deceased. He also declared compensation of Rs.5 lakh each to the next of the kin of the dead, Rs.1 lakh to grievously injured and Rs.50,000 to the other injured.

The minister, who reached the site by a special train from Bangalore, said an inquiry by the commissioner of railway safety had been ordered. "The inquiry will be completed as early as possible and the guilty will not be spared."Karnataka's Textile Minister Prakash, who accompanied Roy, said the state government would pay a compensation of Rs.1 lakh each to the next of the kin of the dead and Rs.25,000 to each of  the injured.

(Agencies)

Latest news from State News Desk